Sunday 27 January 2013

How is Act 1 Comedic?
  • mistaken identity (11)- 'you have always told me it was Ernest' 'but this isn't your cigarette case' allows character to live two different lives, one responsible (country) the other lacks responsibility (town)
  • town vs country: 'Ernest in the town and Jack in the country' (12)
  • inversion: 'Divorces are made in heaven' (9)
  • repartee: witty insults about marriage etc (9)
  • eccentric sides to characters: 'I play with wonderful expression... sentiment is my forte' (1) hyperbolic language, exaggerated- SATIRE. 'I am greatly distressed Aunt Augusta about there being no cucumbers' bathos. Jack- 'Darling!', bordering ridiculous
  • Lady Bracknell about Mr Bunbury: 'I think it's high time that Mr Bunbury made up his mind whether he was going to live or die' SATIRE (disconnected)

No comments:

Post a Comment